- How to Stick to Your Financial Wellness New Year’s Resolution
- Before You Cozy Up to a Winter Fire: Chimney and Fireplace Safety Tips
- More Technology Means More Cyber Risks: What You Should Know to Stay Safe
- How to Drive Value From Your Fastest Asset
- Are You Protected Against Water Damage? Survey Says… No
Tagsappraisals art auto birthstone boating boating safety catastrophe collectibles collector cars contractors cybersecurity diamonds disaster disaster preparedness distracted driving driving safety emergency preparedness family financial planning fine art fire prevention fire safety flood historic home home homeowners home safety home security hurricane preparedness identity theft Internet of Things jewelry liability lightning storms theft travel safety vacation vacation homes valuables watercraft water damage wealth management wildfire preparedness yacht
Tag Archives: lightning
What better time than National Lightning Safety Awareness Week (June 18 – 24, 2017) to highlight some key statistics about lightning and how to protect homes, especially those with complex technology, against lightning’s harmful effects.
• Lightning strikes 25 million times per year in the U.S.1
• The temperature of lightning is hotter than the sun!2
• Lightning causes approximately 22,600 fires resulting in $451,000 million in property damage per year – of those 19% were residential fires3
Separate myths from fact when it comes to lightning strikes. Continue reading
Lightening is an incredibly powerful force of nature. According to the National Severe Storms Laboratory, our earth experiences 100 lightning flashes per second, the United States alone has over 40 million lightning strikes annually. Continue reading
But don’t let the far away grumbles of a storm fool you. Lightning can hit up to 10 miles away from a thunderstorm. So, when you are alerted to an oncoming storm, bring your loved ones indoors and stay put. Continue reading
To many, lightning is little more than Mother Nature’s fireworks display, often followed by a window-rattling rumble of thunder that chases golfers from the fairways and sends the dog scampering for cover.
But lightning is also one of the most frequent and widespread causes of insured losses for homeowners.
Severe weather can develop rapidly and when you hear thunderstorms roll in, you are in striking distance of lightning. In this recent story, nearly two dozen children were injured during a camp session. Continue reading